The general meaning of internship is that it is a position of a student or a trainee who works in an organization, with or without pay, in order to gain work experience or satisfy the requirements for a qualification.
It is an opportunity offered by an employer to potential employees, generally called interns, to work in their firm for a fixed period of time. Interns are usually undergraduates or students. Most of the internships last between a month and three months.
Interns may be high school students, college and university students, or post graduate adults. These positions are temporary. These positions may be paid or unpaid. Usually, an internship consists of exchange of services for experience between the intern and the organization.
The reasons to take an internship are as follows:
- To gain experience
- To have a better understanding
- Have the opportunity to learn and watch
- Gain the ability to new things into practice
- Build confidence
- To get a feel for different industries
- To communicate with everyone
We gain lot of things from an internship.
- New and improved skills and how to apply them.
- Professional communications
- Importance of networking
- Taking constructive criticism well
- Work hard no matter what you are doing
- Making connections
- You are more important than you think.
The skills that Employers need from an intern are:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Time management
- Critical Thinking
- Research and analysis
From the perspective of the student, an internship assists with the career development by providing real time work experiences that provide students with opportunities to explore their interests and develop professional skills and competencies.